Integrating with Matrix
This article will guide you through integrating Codeberg with Matrix, allowing repo updates to be automatically broadcast to your project's Matrix room.
To set up the Matrix integration, it is recommended that you create a new account dedicated to broadcasting your repo updates. This will act as a bot account. You can create an account on your preferred Matrix server.
You will need an access token to give Codeberg access to send updates from your dedicated Matrix account. Here's how to do it on the Element web client.
- Make sure you are logged in to Element with the Matrix account you created earlier in a private/incognito browser window.
- Click on your account name in the top-left corner, then click on
All Settingsin the dropdown.
- Optionally, you can set a display name and a profile picture for the account here.
- Navigate to the
Help & Abouttab on the left.
- Scroll to the bottom and click on latter part of
Access Token: <click to reveal>in the advanced section.
- Copy the access token that appears to a safe place.
- Do not log out of Element. This will invalidate your access token. Instead, you can simply close your private/incognito browser.
Alternatively, you can get an access token directly from the Matrix API. Read more at Matrix's documentation.
Now we will connect the Matrix bot to your Codeberg repository. You will need admin permissions for the repo.
- In a web browser, go to your repo and click on the
Settingsbutton on the top right.
- Navigate to the
- Click on the
Add Webhookbutton and select
- Here are explanations for some key fields:
- Homeserver URL: for example
- Room ID: for example
!VTjWrzxSWgLJnHgDUd:matrix.org. You can find this on Element in the
Advancedtab for the room settings.
- Access token: paste the access token you got earlier.
- Message type:
m.textis the most basic type of message which represents text.
m.noticeis intended for bots and behaves differently.
Add your webhook, then click on the webhook URL. At the bottom now, there will be a
Test Delivery button. Click this, and you will receive a message on your Matrix room!
Hey there! 👋 Thank you for reading this article!
Is there something missing or do you have an idea on how to improve the documentation? Do you want to write your own article?
For an introduction on contributing to Codeberg Documentation, please have a look at the Contributor FAQ.
© Codeberg Docs Contributors. See LICENSE